Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Journey Begins

Contemplation

Contemplation can become the root evil that holds us back from the decisions we want to make but are too afraid to follow through. Mulling something over can leave you discombobulated, sick with indecisiveness, frustrated and filled with fear as finally, instincts are pushed away and regret begins to settle in. It’s a bit like taking a load of uppers that get you excited and inspired, only those feelings are dashed when the effects begin to wear off.

I’ve been confused at the supermarket trying to select a packet of biscuits. I’ve even found myself in the “phone a friend” scenario when I’m not sure whether to buy marmite or vegemite. Considering this, and considering the fact I have jack shit cash and no job to support me, it’s a wonder how I made the impulsive decision to screw everything else and book me on a flight to Delhi.

Brave or stupid?

Brave or stupid? Could be both. Yet following six years of living in Spain, I felt it was time to move on with a brand new agenda which I hope will bring me equilibrium; one that will ground me, provide me with the gift of self-discovery and help me to tap into the cosmic universe. Yet, that’s right; it’s all about me, myself and I because nobody else will do this for me. So, despite my usually indecisive nature, this is one decision that I haven’t even had time to dither about because it was made for me by the urge, impulse and burning desire to connect with India. The power and energy that draws me to the east has never been greater, making the whole journey, a bit of a revelation.

Visions

I envision an explosion of colours and smells, a sea of candyfloss turbans and fluttering saris; the diversity of cultures, religions, peoples and traditions, the rise of the electronic music scene, the new Indian yuppie, tribal wars, conglomerates that contaminate spiritual lands; the economic boom and the ever-widening gap between rich and poor; the caste system, under-age marriage, sutras, NGOs and their development projects, the Dalai Lama, women warriors, the corrupt government, Bollywood and the Mumbai mafia; scents of the sacred herb and one woman’s plight to save traditions of hand embroidery… So much to explore and to write home about; I hope to cover as much of India in this blog as I possibly can. I aim to bring cutting edge features to open the eyes; ones that will allow us to understand as well as question the world’s biggest democracy for all it is and all that it is about.

Check

Take off is scheduled for 18th November 2008. However, as they say, the wall of time that stands between me and the journey that I am about to take is a journey in itself. And so, the journey begins. And with it, arrives a list of things to sort including injections, visa, portable laptop (check), decent rucksack (check), external hard drive (check) and specs (old ones held together by superglue, so, yes, check). Despite lack of real funds, I am in fact not worried. Return flight booked for September 2009 and the only thing I’m worried about right now, is not worrying. Know what I mean?

Partners in Crime

In retrospect, decisions to jack in job and book flight were much easier than painstaking process of finding pair of specs. So a good friend of mine took pity and nicked a pair for me. Having tried on practically every pair, he, decided the time had arrived to take the bull by the horns. “We must go now. They all look all the same”. Outside the store, with a casual calm, he holds up a blue metal-wire frame. “How about these? They’re by Pedro del Hierro.” I don’t do brands. “Pedro who?” Said frame is priced at no less than 125 euros and so two weeks of intense frame shopping comes to an abrupt end.

And now...

That was in Malaga two days ago. In Barcelona now at Nicola’s place. Waiting for the Peace Boat to arrive from Japan, which brings with it survivors of the Nagasaki and Hiroshima atom bomb attacks. Yet another on-going reminder of the catastrophic damage for which the Americans are responsible. Getting on the boat for a day to hear first-hand stories, so watch this space for news on that. Apparently the boat had been delayed en-route and is now expected to arrive around 19th October - just a few days before I make a beeline for Londres. There’s also the Kosmopolis International Literature Fest, which takes place in Barcelona at the CCCB. A cosmic journey has already begun. I can feel it in my bones and I can sense it in my heart and soul. Horizons of inspiration abound!

No comments: