Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Plan

Rough Plan
Well, the plan is there is no plan. Don’t want to zigzag across the place like a lunatic either as both time and money are of essence, so I’ve realised it’s important to at least visualise something. Apparently, November’s a good time to be in Delhi as it’s not too hot or cold and the party scene will also be in full swing. Shivlink Records are guys I’d met at the Boom this year and they’ll be in Delhi about now, so hope to get a taster of the city’s electronic music scene with them. Vrindavan is a four-hour journey from Delhi. It’s Krishna’s place and from what I’ve heard, is engulfed by a beautiful energy of love and spirituality so I’m looking forwards to visiting temples and attending ceremonies and pujas. It’s also a popular time to get hitched, so I guess this will be my chance to experience a real wedding in India as opposed to the Indian ones I’ve been accustomed to in the UK. This should carry me into December, which will be a good time for heading to Rajasthan to check out Jaipur, Udaipur, Pushka and to perhaps link up with my uncle in Bikaner. I’ve been warned he’s super strict, but still, it will be good to connect because who knows when I’ll see him again? Should I take out my piercings? Guess I’ll just cross that bridge when I come to it. South, south, south after this, and then back up in time for the Buddhist New Year celebrations in Spiti, Himchal Pradesh…

Cross-cultural boundaries

Indians know Indians. Regardless of the fact I at least “look” the part doesn’t mean people won’t know I was born in the west - and this, my dear friends, will trigger somewhat of a culture clash. Indian girls born in the west are considered, putting it mildly, rather outrageous. Travelling alone through the subcontinent is bound to bring me face to face with a few clashes, so I’m prepared to be prepared, and as they say, when in Rome… So I’ve decided to try and dress in Indian attire as much as possible and save skimpy stuff for Goa. I’m guessing life in rural areas and smaller towns will be different to the bigger cosmopolitan cities such as Delhi, Banglore and Mumbai, where the buzz word on the lips of most Indians is “modern” (say that in an Indian accent!). I’m sure I could very easily slip into this way of life, but it’s the rural areas to which I feel most drawn because I want to soak up India for what it really stands for, complete with its traditions and values.

A new India
India is changing and before it does so completely, I want to be there to experience it for what it really is. There are some things that I could never compromise, such as the role of women and their equality to men. However, traditional ways of living away from the negative effects of globalization is what I want to experience - before it’s too late. In some parts of India, it is too late, which is why I want to aim for small towns and villages in rural, mountainous, country and desert areas. Kutch is an example of a place that has taken globalization to a positive level. Situated in the north-west Gujarat region, women here have been involved in the tradition of hand embroidery for centuries. Technology came along and practically destroyed their livelihoods and the tradition was on the brink of destruction. That’s until one woman discovered both a way of bringing it back to life, and for utilizing it to create economic sustainability for the women in the area. It’s a place that has caught up with the 21st century whilst sustaining its traditions. India is not just about slums, poverty, corruption and disease. It’s also about many beautiful things and these are not communicated to the outside world as much as they should be. Kutch is a place I hope to visit.

The dark side

There is the dark side of course. Having spoken with the Spanish editor of Vice magazine in Barcelona just last week, I realised how even the raw alternative press love a certain kind of sensationalism. I knew the kinda features they’d be interested in so I compiled a list of ideas which included the way corporations are currently abusing the population so India can make it’s mark as the economic world leader. I look forwards to finding out what I can. There are some things we just don’t get to hear about. These are the things that need to be exposed because awareness is what we need to make the changes our world needs. They loved it all and wanted it all. On the “lighter” side, they’re interested in hearing about the Indian punk scene! Apparently, it’s non-existent and no one has heard about it as of yet so to discover it will be a challenge. It’s not exactly an authentic representation of India, but its discovery would be an intriguing insight into Indian youth and their interpretation of a sub-culture that once defined the spirit of sixties Britain. Following 200 years of British colonisation, many Indians continue to aspire to western ways of life. Can this be interpreted as a positive form of globalization or is it something that will destroy the real essence of what India is really about?

Trendy sub-cultures and the Indian middle-class

The point is this: It is only those middle-class Indian yuppies with money that are able to indulge in regurgitated western sub-cultures. So what about the other billion people living on the brink of poverty? The rest of the exploited population is kept busy working for nothing to keep their families alive. Outside of middle-class Indian societies, there are tribes and peoples that are not influenced by the west, I want to find these and tap into their way of creative expression.

All mouth no action?
Could be a case of all mouth no action. Or even all mouth some action. I just don’t know. It’s a thought process. The closer I get to leaving London, the more intense my thoughts about exactly what I’ll be doing when I get out there. Guess it’s all part of the journey…

Diwali
It was Diwali just the other day. A powerful day to remind the world how our collective consciousness can bring positive change and light. A day to remind us to connect with our inner self, hearts and souls. It’s with this realisation that we can discover universal love and compassion and the awareness of how we are all one. Knowledge has the power to bring us freedom and Diwali represents this. It’s a celebration of our inner light that surpasses all negative forces. I think Diwali is a powerful day. Maybe everyday is a powerful day and perhaps Diwali is one of those days to remind us of this fact.

No comments: